Monday, January 11, 2010

The Lucky Leprechaun




Leprechauns are amazing and adventurous little creatures! They have one of the most complex yet rewarding jobs- climbing rainbows. Who would have thought those little guys could maneuver their way over one of God's most beautiful creations to the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow? It must be a daunting task for those little dudes to stand at the base of a rainbow and see the hurdles they must endure to get to the pot of gold clear on the other side. Exhausting and exhilarating, I'm sure.

I often feel like The Lucky Leprechaun at the end of my days. My emotions range from utter exhaustion to complete awe at the two little lives we are responsible for and love so deeply and completely. The feedings, diaper changes, the crying, singing, talking and cooing, scheduling, coordinating, tricks, baths, babbling and sleepless nights drain every ounce of energy and energy reserves I have daily. In fact, my reserves are now deficit and the deficits have deficits. But each day I get to hold, snuggle, love, adore, rock, and whisper sweet nothings into my baby boy's ears, a dream I wasn't sure would ever come true.

Just like The Lucky Leprechaun, there are good days and bad days. Days that seem never-ending and days that are so fast and furious that I wonder where the time went. I'm sure The Lucky Leprechaun often wished he was Superman like me too, but I had to let that title go because I put too much stress on myself trying to be more than I could or had to offer.

I love being a mom, don't get me wrong, but right now the exhaustion rules the rainbow. I try to take advantage of every minute I have with the babies- I miss them terribly while I am at work and their time as babies will come to an end more quickly than I can imagine. That means that email, phone calls, this blog, housework, projects, and a plethora of other things often suffer. Time is precious; my home time is monumental, and the rainbows and pots of gold are a waitin'!

Lucky Leprechauns..... amazing, adventurous, exhausting, and exhilarating!




















10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet post! Your boys are precious!

Shelby said...

Your boys are adorable and your words so strongly echo mine, but like you, I am so, so grateful and never lose sight of that each and everyday.

Anonymous said...

I feel like it's cliche to tell someone they have cute babies, but OMG, Ashley, they are ADORABLE! That last picture makes me swoon! They look like little baby cover models. :) Enjoy it! You're a lucky lady. :)

Jessica White said...

WHAT CUTIES!!!! I love that last picture of them...they're just too cool and look like "Yea, we're cute...we know it!"

Photogrl said...

I can only imagine how exhausted you must be!

Wonderful pictures of the 2 of them!

I love the last one...they look like little men just hanging out on the couch!

Just Me. said...

those boys are too CUTE!!! gosh, i'd love to give them a sweet cuddle!!!!

yep, i know what you mean...i'm beyond drained and you have two! but hey like you, just love T to bits!

ps just sent you an email!

pps. how is it that a mother of two has LIP GLOSS on?! gah! i have to find mine now! lol. u're looking great!

Mrs. Harrison said...

Kasey and I agreed as we were giggling at MIDNIGHT about how ridiculous little ones schedules can be. Not every night has been quite as benevolent when discussing the non-habitual sleeping habits of this house. I think about every 48 hours I am still looking at Emilie and wondering when the teething, infection, surgery, too long of a nap, too short of a nap excuses will stop and she'll just give up when the sun goes down! It took us the longest to just open up and be able to say out loud we just don't like the kids sometimes. We love them, but they don't always make us happy. We'll torment anyone else who would dare say that about our kids, but we totally reserve the right to say it about our them, that's the joy of parenting!

Jess said...

I can't believe how big (and handsome!) those little guys have gotten!!! What blessings. :)

Hales Family said...

That last pic may be my very favorite twin picture ever.

They are so cute, and seem to be getting cuter everyday. As for the exhaustion, you are truly a mommy when you feel that happen!

I love your blog! You cute little family always makes me smile.

genderist said...

The last two are my favorites. I agree that the one of them sitting together is just too much, but the striped bottoms are precious, too.

I want to say our baby was about 5 months old before it dawned on me one day that I felt normal again. (Mind you she was 9 months before she started occasionally sleeping through the night... we thought that was never going to happen.)

Great pics and fabulous post...